Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My reading child

Yesterday we got Noah's IQ results back. I honestly dont know what to make of them or our doctor right now becuase the scores were being compared to that of a 'normal' child in his age rage. Noah was having a few rough days on the day of his test and even the doctor acknowledged that. So really, I dont think they tell us much!

At any rate he did excell in reading but all other areas of comprehension, math, writing he does need some work in. Though the questions he failed at in his test he answered just fine for us at home. Who knows. A test is just a sample of a range of data. Its unfortunate we always look at the averages of everything. They really dont always tell you much to be perfectly honest!! There is a book out there called Outliers that I really want to read. Sure it goes back to the haunting days of statistics but I think we all need to look at the outliers and consider them in our analysis more. Then I think we would have a better grasp of what is actually going on in this world!!

For instance if i looked at Noah's average for his verbal to reading you would think they would be the same as they interpret the same skill sets right?! Wrong they are in fact inverse of each other as far as the scores go!! I cant really interpret anything from his IQ test results yesterday! Its frustrating but I will say that my mother hunches about him have typically be on the nose!!

So how does Noah think? Well he thinks like a kid on speed! Fast! He can be detailed and focused when he wants to and that was evident in his testing but he can also lose focus in an instant! Our next steps in working with him are to develop an IEP plan, go to speech therapy and occupational therapy for him to develop better articulation and balance. He will come to his own he already is, in the words of Shonda Schilling my "Special Something!"

No comments:

Post a Comment