Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 2

Well, its day two of being back to work and yesterday went pretty well. Again we didnt have much going on here so I was able to get somewhat of my routine down and greased through. Adelaine however, did not have such a great day. She only ate about 7ounces from her bottle throughout the entire day and just slept the rest of the time. I do know that she does have some plumbing issues going on but I also recognize it will probably take her longer to get used to new routines than it would me.

The stresses of getting home, getting dinner on the stove (fish tacos), spending time with all three kids now, running a few errands and just trying to find five minutes of me time whether in be in the bathroom trying to go pee without being interrupted by a kid or just being able to step outside was difficult to do. I do however recognize in some crazy future I may just miss my oldest son opening the bathroom door to see me sitting on the crown. He is so oblivious to even the thought of me being in there and will just talk to me as if nothing is going on. Rattling on about super mario brothers video games that he plays with his sitter and cousin. The boy is just hyperfocused onto the subject so much that he tells me at dinner that I need to get more "flower power" and help him be a Yoshi. . . .

Yes, Noah is my special different. He has Aspergers but in no way do we tell a lot of people about it other than close family and friends. He has been diagnosed with it but he is still his own special different. We are currently just in the research stages of it after getting the diagnosis in February and handling notes home from his teachers for the past two years in preschool. It was his first teachers Mrs. Julie and Mrs. Stacy that notified us the fear they may be a problem. Mrs. Stacy was quick to recognize this as she has a brother with developmental disabilities, in no way does Noah have them as severe as her brother but she just had a knack and the patience to recognize and work with Noah over the past two years, for which she will have no idea as to how grateful I just am for all of her help!

At the age of 4 when they first recognized it we could not do much for him. We had to wait until he was five years old to even start the process for a diagnosis. The diagnosis alone took three visits to the psychologist, Dr. Lofthouse. Which he then is leading us down a path of finding out how best to work with Noahs behaviors. I like him he isnt pushing medication or harsh treatments onto us and letting us call the shots. For now especially since it is just summer we are doing the pre diagnosis treatments to see how he thinks to gain a better perspective of how to work with him. So far we have completed the IQ test and we get those results back in a few weeks.

The next steps are behavioral and occupational therapy. I am sure he will turn out to be as unique of a kid as his dad and I were growing up. In fact I am positive of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment