Monday, June 21, 2010

"Mommy you're beautiful!"

This morning I was getting ready for the day and Noah walked into the bathroom and announced to me, "Mommy you look beautiful!"! Now, this is something that he has grown to say to just about every female around him lately. He's said it to Adelaine, the sitter Mrs. Beth, me, okay so maybe just the three of us that I know of. Its such a simple phrase that can be said by anyone but at the same time to hear this come out of a five year olds mouth so randomly can really help you to start your day out on the right foot.

Throughout my day at work things continued to pile on top of me I really feel smothered at work. Thankfully this helps the day to fly by fast but at the same time I come home exhausted! The only thing I could think of all day was that short little phrase that Noah had said to me that morning. It was better than drinking 5 cups of coffee and really brightened my day, all day long. Such a simply phrase from a simple boy helped to keep me charged through my day. I wonder how much such simple phrases that I can say to my kids or those around me would help to cheer up someone elses day and keep them charged for what ever they too may encounter through the day. Then, imagine further if one person said something nice to someone every day how much more of a happier world that we may all live in.

Children with Aspergers are stereotyped as having the ability to not understand or are able to interpret the emotions of others well. Now I smother him (all my kids) in hugs and kisses before I leave and come back from work as well as before he closes his eyes for bed. I know he understand it because I see smiles on his faces but still what remains remarkable to me is that he will always say something nice and reason with me as to why he thinks someone is beautiful or why he loves those around him. However this again astonishes me because he is able to project reason with emotion yet when something in his environment changes around him or a situation occurs around him he has larger scaled reactions to situations. I just believe that those with Aspergers have a ability to inherently feel things at different levels that a 'normal' person hence the over reactive states that he can reach when not able to gain understanding of a situation immediately. Hence, the small and yet simple quotes that he says but so many of us 'normal' people to do not say to each other.

The labels that we put on kids like Noah as having Aspergers or autism - or any disorder at that - are just that a label. It is not who they are. Because I for one solely do believe that we can always learn from each other, the small and the big people around us, the sick and the meek, the rich and the poor. I for one did learn this morning that I was in fact a beautiful person and I had to be reminded of that from a five year old boy that has been diagnosed with Aspergers. That five year old boy whom I love and am thankful for each and everyday of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment